(Don't do it!)
Coming fresh off of Apple Computer's legal victory over Beatles' Apple Corp and their new round of television ads declaring their superiority over Windows, I thought I would offer this bit of hype deflation.
A new MacBook Pro with identical features and specs to a Dell Inspiron E1505 costs $1395 more.
That is not a typo, a Mac costs almost a G and a half more than a damn near identical Dell.
For the computer nerds who can understand this here are the specs of the models I compared,
2.0 Ghz Intel Duo Processor
15.4" screen w/ 1440 X 1000 Resolution
1 Gig of RAM
100 Gigs of Hard Drive space
Media Center Remote Control (Both come with one)
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
128 MB Video Cards
- You have to buy a separate modem in case you ever need a dial-up connection.
- You have to buy the full year of support because unlike Dell, Apple only gives you 3 months for free.
- Currently, the MacBook's DVD burner is 4X compared to Dell's 8X.
- Has 2 USB ports compared to Dell's 4.
- Doesn't have the ability to read 5 types of digital memory cards.
- Doesn't have a built-in webcam.
- The Dell weighs 6.18 lbs. compared to the Mac's 5.6 lbs.
- The Dell is 1.5 inches thick compared to the Mac's 1 inch.
- Dell runs Windows XP which is an inferior operating system compared to Mac OS X and it doesn't have iLife.
- Also, you may have fight with Dell's Indian posse if you ever have a computer problem, whereas I envision breakdancing white hipsters answer your calls at Apple.
Apple Price: $2897
Dell Price: $1502
You can't link to the store, so click the pics for the images with the details of the prices.
Let's say you buy a ridiculously expensive $130 Logitech Webcam, and download a few basic free security programs to make up for the shittiness of Windows XP, the MacBook is still over a $1000 more expensive than the Dell.
Granted, you won't inspire the envy of all your $9 a cup coffeeshop friends with your shiny white laptop with a large fruit on the cover, but you'll have about $1400 to buy everyone a few rounds of venti grandi lattes as well as a few iPods.
Or you can pay the membership fee to join my cult.
Click anywhere to cancel