Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I Thought I Was In Love: It's The iPhone...For Cingular



Let's keep this simple.

Apple released their LONG-AWAITED iPhone today and it's the truth, although the thing costs more than Dave Chappelle's diamond-coated dinosaur eggs.

It's $500 for 4GB/$600 for 8GB with a 2-year contract from Cingular in June, although I don't see why this won't work with T-Mobile.

The screen is bigger than all previous iPods at 3.5" with a good screen resolution. It also has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a 2 megapixel camera, 8GB Flash Drive a completely touch-controlled interface and all the other things that make nerds happy and help you achieve Balla Status.

Frankly, Apple should create another model of this without the phone feature and leave the music and video playback in and cut the price down to $300.
Not everyone wants to be on a Cingular contract. I know I sure as hell don't.

Anyone got that hook-up at Apple or Cingular?

____________________________________

UPDATE

I have downgraded my love to like.
I'm fickle like that.

Here's why,

  • If you just can’t wait to buy an iPhone from another cellular carrier, like T-Mobile, Cingular has a message for you: you’ll be waiting a long time, my friend.

    Cingular’s exclusive rights to sell Apple’s new iPhone is a “multi-year agreement in the U.S.,” said Glenn Lurie, Cingular’s president of national distribution, in a press conference today at CES. The agreement also includes future models which will be introduced “soon.”

    And if you’re thinking of buying the iPhone through Cingular and then using it on another GSM network, you might want to reconsider. Both Apple and Cingular will sell the phone as a “locked” device. Even though it uses the GSM standard, it won’t work on other GSM systems.

    Hackers have made the unlocking of locked phones a cottage industry, but Cingular says that that won’t be so easy with the iPhone. If the iPhone gets hacked and unlocked, “we’ve thought through what our next steps will be,” Glenn Lurie said.

Cingular/AT&T can eat me. Imagine you found a hot computer but you could only use it with AOL Dial-Up.
That would suck quite a bit. That's what this shit is.

I would have respected Apple a lot more if they opened this up to whoever wanted this on a GSM network (T-Mobile & Cingular.)

If you like the hard rod up the ass that Cingular provides then go ahead and enjoy the fuck out of this phone.
The technology it uses is still top notch.

4 comments:

  1. I know them Starbucks employees get that T-mobile hook up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work for AT&T and they've been hyping this at the company for weeks. I don't know what kind of employee discount they would give, but it might still cost too much, even on my salary. Like you said, the need to have a phone-less version. Will be dropping a hint in the suggestion box. Maybe they'll listen to me for once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use cingular(or cingular uses me) and I spent 30 minutes on the phone on Friday negotiating the "with a new 2 year contract" price, to use the phone with my existing plan.

    From first love of the iphone, to being irked by the other issues (no 3g? only with cingular), I wasn't going to get kicked in the face again by cingular by having to pay some higher price just because I already signed their stupid contract. So I'll see what the market iphone looks like in June, and set aside some cash starting now just for it - if I decide to buy.

    Okay, so cingular seems to have reworked their technology just for the iphone, but at least apple could have done a bit more to not hand over its fans to the mercey of cingular. I already have to sword fight regularly regarding my ball and chain with cingular.

    And now cingular is At&T...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say wait for the second iPhone or wait until companies start making duplicate versions of their own iPhone.

    Even today, the iPod isn't the best MP3 player. It is just the most popular.

    The question is will anyone have the patience to wait once they see the iPhone in person and get brainwashed.

    ReplyDelete