Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Only That Matters on the 2008 Grammys



Is Steven Wright winning the award for Best Comedy Album.

Fuck a Amy Winehouse satellite debacle.

I first caught Steven Wright on Conan O'Brien, where his deadpan nonsensical humor caught me off guard. Who the fuck was this guy?

I went and dug out some of his material, which goes something like this,

  • “It’s a small world, but I wouldn’t want to paint it.”

    “I went into a restaurant. The menu said, ‘Breakfast anytime.’ So I ordered French toast during the Renaissance.”

    “I need one of those baby monitors from my subconscious to my consciousness so I can know what the hell I’m really thinking about.”

    “My doctor told me I shouldn’t work out until I’m in better shape. I told him, ‘All right; don’t send me a bill until I pay you.’ ”


Etc, etc. His humor isn't for everybody but I love it.

Earlier this year I realized he dropped an album of new material which I copped immediately. If I had made a Best Albums of 2007 list, please believe this would have been on it.

I actually didn't realize he released an album until the Grammy noms came out.

Here is his comp,

Field 20 — Comedy

Category 80

Best Comedy Album
(For comedy recordings, spoken or musical)

  • America's Mexican
    George Lopez
    [Comedy Central Records]

  • Dirty Girl
    Lisa Lampanelli
    [Warner Bros.]

  • The Distant Future
    Flight Of The Conchords
    [Sub Pop]

  • I Still Have A Pony.
    Steven Wright
    [Comedy Central Records]

  • Songs Pointed & Pointless
    Harry Shearer
    [Courgette Records]

Lisa Lampenelli is as dirty as she is funny.



Flight of the Conchords was on my TV Top Ten. Dudes are hilarious.

George Lopez is meh and I don't know about Harry Shearer.

Seems like good comp but Wright deserves the nod. He is the antithesis of the whole shameful funeral procession the Grammys have become.

If anything on that show was worth watching, let me know so I can YouTube that shit.


UPDATE: Flight of the Conchords won.

I can't hate. Wright deserved it though.

1 comment: